Jan 9, 2023
Welcome to this week's episode of the Sports Management Podcast, where we talk all things Olympic Games.
Spyros Capralos is the President of the
Hellenic Olympic Committee, the European Olympic Committees and a
member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
Mr Capralos was born 1955 in Athens, Greece where he studied economics at the University of Athens and later an MBA in France. He was a professional Water Polo player and competed in two Olympic Games - Moscow in 1980 and Los Angeles in 1984.
In 1992, he became a member of the General Assembly of the Hellenic Olympic Committee and his sports management career took off. In 2004, he was appointed by the Prime Minister as General Secretary of State and City Manager of the Olympic Games Athens 2004. He is President of the Hellenic Olympic Committee since 2009, in 2019 member of the International Olympic Committee and in 2021 he was elected President of the European Olympic Committees.
He is also working outside of sports, where he is acting as President of the Shipping Company Star Bulk Carriers. Moreover, he has been President of the Athens Stock Exchange and the Federation of European Stock Exchanges, CEO of OceanBulk Containers and the Bank of Athens. He has also founded one of Greece’s most well-known brands for feta cheese.
Get ready to learn:
- About his roles in the Hellenic, European and International
- How the funds from IOC are distributed
- The legacies from the 2004 Athens Olympics
- What his professional Water Polo career has taught him
- How the Hellenic Olympic Committee is supporting the Greek athletes
- His different jobs outside of sport
- What it means to him to be elected as an IOC member
- Why he is thankful towards Michael Payne
And much more!
Course list --> HERE
The code gives you 10% ANY course offered.
Follow us on social media